The Woodbine Golf and Country Club was located in the Woodbine Gardens neighbourhood, and its clubhouse was in the Glenwood Crescent area. Two of the largest trees in the neighbourhood, a blue spruce and a maple between Glenwood and Stag Hill, were on the original golf course. The WGHA is interested in any information or memorabilia from the Woodbine Golf and Country Club, so please let us know if you have any insights.
The Woodbine Bridge was built across the Taylor-Massey Creek ravine in 1932, at a cost of $275,000. At 810 feet long and 46 feet wide, it is one of Toronto’s largest bridges, and it paved the way for future development of the area.
The “Mary Pickford house” was an East York war funds project. The bungalow, valued at $15,000, was built in 1943 at 90 Glenwood Crescent. Raffle tickets were sold at $1.00 throughout the city to raise funds for war charities. Mary Pickford, the popular film star, was born in Toronto and helped develop plans for the project. She also contributed the funds from the sale of her Toronto property to finance the bungalow.
Proceeds from the ticket sales were designated to the Lions British Child War Victims’ Fund, the Evening Telegram British War Victims’ Fund, and the Malta Relief Fund Society of Toronto.
Canadian General Electric Company equipped the bungalow with the newest electrical appliances, including an electric stove, refrigerator, washer, coffee maker, toaster, iron, three radios, two telechron clocks, and a vacuum cleaner.
Mary Pickford’s appearance at the official opening of the home on May 26, 1943 ensured great publicity for the project.
More houses were built throughout the 1940s, 50s and into the early 60s.Detached houses of brick and stone, many on the main ravine or one of the many glens around it, on streets named Glenwood, Glen Gannon, Glen Robert, Glen Eden, Glen Albert, Glencrest and Glenfield. The subdivision was an engineering feat, as several watercourses had to be rerouted underground and 500,000 cubic yards of soil had to be removed to level many of the hills in the area.
Although historical records indicate that the area west of Rexleigh Blvd is called Glenwood, the more common understanding today, is that the area is called Woodbine Gardens and its boundaries of are south of St. Clair to the Taylor Massey Creek Ravine, east of O’Connor to Dawes Road.
The WGHA’s boundaries are from Rexleigh Drive west to O’Connor/Ravine to include all of Glenwood Crescent and from Notley Place to the south side of St. Clair.
Taylor-Massey Creek is a tributary of the Don River. It begins at Terraview Willowfield Park near Pharmacy Avenue and Hwy 401, and flows through Scarborough to East York where it enters the East Don River.
The Taylors were a wealthy family who owned and operated the Don Valley Brick Works. The Masseys owned Canadian farm equipment manufacturer Massey-Ferguson, as well as several mansions on Jarvis Street. Both families owned sizable estates in the area. The Goulding Estate, a heritage property on Dawes Road was part of the Massey estate. In the past, Taylor-Massey Creek has also been called Silver Creek andScarborough Creek.
Dentonia Farm In 1897, Walter Massey, President of Massey-Harris Company, purchased about 100 ha of land to establish an experimental farm. Walter named the farm “Dentonia Park” after his wife, Susan Marie Denton. The farm produced eggs and poultry as well as trout. Dentonia was also the home of a prized dairy herd that sparked the formation of the City Dairy Company.
The City Dairy produced the first pasteurized milk in Canada, which helped to combat tuberculosis and typhoid fever among Toronto children. In 1901, Walter Massey passed away after contracting typhoid fever, but Susan continued to operate Dentonia Park Farm well after his death. Walter’s brother, Chester (and his children Vincent (he became the Governor General of Canada) and Raymond (he became a famous actor and starred in such films as the part of Lincoln in Abe Lincoln in Illinois, The Forty Ninth Parallel and East of Eden with James Dean) and Susan’s children (Ruth, Madeline, Dorothy and Denton) also lived at Dentonia.
Susan Massey donated 25 ha of Dentonia, in memory of her husband, to the City of Toronto around 1926, for use as a public park to be named “Dentonia Park”. Susan generously donated her home (built in 1914) along with 16 ha of Dentonia, to Crescent School (an independent school for boys) in 1933. Until Susan’s death in 1938, she continued to live at Dentonia, with her daughter Madeline.
The Goulding Estate was built in 1921 as a wedding gift for Dorothy Massey, and is the last surviving structure of the Dentonia Park Farm. The beautiful 5,000 square foot Arts and Crafts style home is nestled, in a wooded area, north of the creek, east of Dawes Road.
Dorothy raised her family here and invited her own children, and others she knew, to perform fairy tales and other stories. Her initiative grew into the Toronto Children’s Theatre. On her death, the house became the property of the Borough of East York.
The Massey Goulding Estate now belongs to the City of Toronto and is used by the Children’s Peace Theatre. The house has several spaces suitable for a wide range of activities from weddings to business meetings and other gatherings.
To inquire about membership and renting venue space at the Goulding Estate contact email@example.com or call 416-752-1550.